Happy Thursday! Let the weekend begin (in a few hours at least). I hope that this post finds everyone well. I have been dealing with some bs at work and just wanted to tell all the potential teachers coming to be prepared to deal with some issues that you have never dealt with before. Things are going to happen at you school that are going to make you angry, frustrated and make you question your decision to come here. I have 5 suggestions on what to do when the caca hits the fan:
- Talk to your friends, because they will understand what you are going through. That is what they are there for. If they are good friends they will make you laugh and feel better and remind you that you are a great person and not to take the issue seriously. They will remind you of all the good things that you have going for you and invite you out for a drink to get your mind off of school. They will come over, even if they are tired because they just did an hour bootcamp class in 40 C heat and they will listen to you bitch and swear and make you feel better.
- Reach out to your old students on Facebook. I called out to my old students to tell me something good because I was having such a bad day. They came through (along with some of my old co-workers, friends and high school friends) reminding me why I went into this profession in the first place. They recounted stories of when I taught them, things I said and told me of ways that I helped them, some of which I had no clue. A few of them almost made me cry with the touching things they said.
- Do something fun that you like to do. If you like to read, buy a new book. Get a manicure or pedicure if that is your thing. Treat yourself to a nice dinner.
- Look at your payslip. That is why I am here. next month I will be finish paying my student loans! Yessssssssss! In what world can you pay 10, 000$ of debt in 10 months, travel and still be fabulous? This one. That is why I put up with what I do.
- Look at all the great pics you have taken over the last few months. Look at all the great places you have been. Remind yourself that you are strong, you are able to do this. Summer is around the corner and soon you will be with family and friends that love you so much and you will be able to tell them all the crazy stories from your year in the UAE and you will be a superstar.